The Ambassador House was named after its most famous resident, Addison Clay Harris, who was appointed by President William McKinley to serve as the Unite States’ Ambassador to Austria-Hungary from 1899-1901. Addison lived here with his wife, India, starting in 1880.
The original log cabin portion of the house was constructed by the West family, pioneer settlers in Hamilton County, in the mid-1820’s; then owned by William Britton Hartman from 1871-1880.
First constructed by the West family, pioneer settlers, in the mid-1820’s, the original log cabin was part of a large farm on the northwest corner of 96th St. and Allisonville Rd. Harris purchased the house and 287 acres at a sheriff’s sale in 1880, and eventually grew the farm to 405 acres.
When India Harris died in 1948, the house was owned by Indiana University and later by India’s lawyer before being threatened with destruction in 1996. The then Town of Fishers acquired the Harris house that year with the understanding that it would be moved to a new site. The plan for Heritage Park was made and thanks to extraordinary efforts by the Fishers Historic Preservation Committee, the house was successfully moved to 106th Street and Eller Road in November 1996. The Stone House was also relocated the following year to Heritage Park.
After 13 years restoration work, The Ambassador House opened as a community events center and a Board of Directors was formed to preserve and utilize the house for future generations.